You’re in the right place if you want more from your career than merely making a pay cheque.
I am here to support you come alive in your career.
To feel inspired and excited by what you do.
To find more meaning in your work.
There is no reason to dread Mondays!
If you are longing to make a difference, to uncover your passions and need help getting unstuck, I am here for you.
Born Amanda Helena Kilotat,
most know me as Mandie Kai.
Since studying a human resources degree when I was first out of high school, I have long been interested in helping people enjoy their work and loving my own.
I’ve had my share of uninspiring jobs. Like the time I was a door knocker “selling” a free roof inspection (I lasted two days, ha!).
But I got bold and took risks, in life and my career. The result? Some epic opportunities I couldn’t have dreamed up.
So it made sense when I found myself lecturing and career coaching at a university, supporting students to pursue their career ambitions. A job I did for seven years – my longest role ever!
Since 2009, I have been helping people get clear on what they’d love to do and confidently take action to make it happen.
If I can sum up what I’ve learnt, it’s that courageous leaps lead to epic change.
Some of my career highlights:
- Most recently, I was the Senior Cast Coordinator for Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Ceremonies Team, recruiting and coordinating 4000 volunteer performers in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. This was despite never having worked on a ceremony, in casting or a large-scale event of that size before.
- Co-founding Lismore Helping Hands, the spontaneous volunteer group that assisted the flood recovery efforts when a natural disaster hit the city in 2017. Being a part of the magic created by thousands of volunteers who came to support those in need was one of the most moving experiences of my life.
- Scoring a coveted role working for CouchSurfing International in Thailand and Alaska as their Communications Coordinator. This was a demanding and exciting role in their early days (pre AirBnB!). Membership grew from 250,000 to 1 million enthusiastic couchsurfers around the world in my year with them.
- Volunteering twice in a Romanian orphanage (for a total of seven months). I have long wanted to make a difference. As a teenager, I raised money for charities. Wrote letters to the editor protesting rodeos and animal cruelty (a radical move in a small Australian country town!). I delivered passionate speeches on human rights atrocities. I volunteered in a nursing home (they thought I was on court-ordered community service as they couldn’t believe a teenager would do it voluntary). The plight of orphans has long touched my heart, so living and working in Romania was a dream come true.
- Embarking on an epic 4000km hitchhiking adventure from Alaska to Canada.
- Being the full-time carer for my sister with Down Syndrome and Asperger. We lived together while I was at university and she was in school. She shaped me into the person I am today. She taught me unconditional love, compassion and the childlike joy of being loud and silly.
- Spending a career sabbatical in a forest, living in a sustainable house off the grid on solar power and rainwater, in the gorgeous Northern Rivers. I spent a nourishing year filled with time in nature, silence, Reiki, meditation and studying.
- Spreading joy and glitter in an 80’s flash mob dance theatre group, The Cassettes, performing at Woodford Folk Festival (one of my fav festivals ever), Bellingen Music Festival, and even appearing on Channel 7’s Sunrise morning show.
My credentials: I am a postgraduate degree qualified career practitioner, certified life coach, Reiki Master and hold a business degree in human resource management + international business. I have 18 years experience nationally and internationally in management, leadership, recruitment, training, communications, and coaching. My areas of passion are arts, health, disability, education, social justice, women’s empowerment and the environment.
Born under a lucky star
Some observing my life and career would say I was born under a lucky star.
But having studied the power of planned happenstance and how we create luck through our attitudes and actions, I know you, too, can get the lucky breaks to work you’ll love.
I will teach you how, in practical and simple steps.
We respect your privacy. Always.